St. Patrick’s Day Trivia for Sacramento Region Readers
02/24/2016 09:23AM ● Published by David Norby
Photo © Brent Hofacker/fotolia.com
St. Patrick’s Day is upon us! In honor of this happy holiday—filled with green pints aplenty, leprechauns, shamrocks, and corned beef and cabbage—take a moment to test your knowledge on the beloved Irish-themed day.
1. The U.S. version of corned beef is called what in the UK?
2. According to legend, what should you never do if you catch a leprechaun?
3. Where was St. Patrick born?
4. A shamrock is known as a lucky small plant that has how many leaves?
5. St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on the day that St. Patrick was born. True or false?
6. Ireland’s nickname is the Emerald Isle. True or false?
7. What was the first color associated with St. Patrick’s Day before the color green?
8. The very first St. Patrick’s Day parade did not take place in Ireland, but rather in what U.S. city?
9. Roughly 70 million people across the globe claim Irish heritage. True or false?
10. When he was first in Ireland, St. Patrick spent six years as a preacher. True or false?
— Allyson Ashmore