Looking to Lose Weight? Try These 10 Foods to Help You Shed Pounds!
● Published by Style
by Margaux J Rathbun, B.S., N.T.P.
Feeling bloated? Can’t seem to zip up your skinny jeans? Nutritional Therapist Margaux J Rathbun has the scoop on the 10 best foods that can aid in helping you feel slim and trim.
1. Avocados – Once villianized for being a “fatty food”, avocados are rich in nutrients and low in calories. Not only are they a great source of filling fiber, avocados contain good fats to help you stay happy and energized. Make an avocado boat by scooping out the pit and spooning in fresh salsa.
2. Coconut Oil – One of the most popular foods of the moment, coconut oil is a wonderful way for dieters to watch their weight. That’s because it is rich in medium-chained saturated fatty acids (MCTs) which the body uses for energy instead of storing for body fat. Try adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your green tea for a tropical and nourishing drink.
3. Peppers – These tasty nightshades are known to help stimulate the digestive system and have can aid in boosting your metabolism. This makes them the perfect for people watching their weight. Peppers are also a great source of vitamin C and beta-carotene. Try adding peppers to your stir fry dishes or even juice them in the morning along with apples and lemons.
4. Green tea – More than just hot, flavored water, green tea is rich in bioactive compounds that help to boost metabolism and increase our amount of hormones that encourage fat cells to break down. It is also rich in antioxidants to help boost immunity and promote clear skin.
5. Apples – An apple a day keeps the weight gain away! That’s because apples are full of non-digestible compounds that aid in promoting good bacteria to flourish in our gut while helping us feel full. Have a healthy mid-day snack by dipping apple slices in almond butter.
6. Oatmeal – Not only is oatmeal one of America’s favorite breakfast foods, it is a great way to help keep your hunger cravings at bay. It is rich in soluble fiber which means it attracts fluid and helps you stay full longer. Jazz up your oatmeal by topping it with some raw honey and cinnamon powder.
7. Yogurt – Feeling a bit bloated? Why not reach for a bowl of yogurt. Rich in probiotic bacteria, yogurt helps the gut stay healthy and can aid in promoting a flat tummy. Add some sugar-free yogurt to your daily smoothies for a boost of beneficial bacteria.
8. Berries – Not only are berries rich in free-radical fighting antioxidants, they are packed with fiber. Fiber is important for helping to promote proper digestion as well as helping us feel full. The more fiber we eat, the less likely we are to binge on unhealthy snacks. Try adding berries to your yogurt or even freeze them and eat them plain as a cooling summer snack.
9. Beans – These little legumes are one of the most under looked superfoods available to us. Not only are they great sources of fiber, they contain protein and iron to help out bodies build up lean muscle mass. Try having beans for breakfast by including them in an omelet full of fresh vegetables.
10. Quinoa – Ditch the white rice and start eating this nutrient-dense seed! Quinoa is another great source of fiber and protein to help promote a long and lean body. It’s also rich in iron to help give our bodies a nice boost of natural energy. Rev-up the flavor of your quinoa by infusing it with chicken broth instead of water.
Coconut Oil Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen eggs
- About 4 tbsp. organic cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
Place the eggs in a large pot of water. The water should only come about 1 inch above the eggs. Boil on high-heat for about 7 minutes or until the eggs are solid. Remove the eggs from the pot and rinse with cold water. Peel off the egg shell carefully. Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks, transferring them to your food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients except for the egg whites. Process the mixture to a consistency where it is a bit chunky. Spoon the mixture into the egg whites and garnish with paprika, pepper, and a green onion. Enjoy!
Coconut Oil Grilled Peaches
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 peaches
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
Slice peaches in half and remove pit. Lightly brush on the coconut oil. Grill each side of peach for 2 minutes over low heat.
Mix vinegar, honey and lemon juice together. Drizzle over top of grilled peaches.
Energizing Oatmeal with Berries and Coconut Oil
- 1 cup of your favorite oatmeal (I like the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- A handful of organic blueberries
- A handful of sliced organic strawberries
- A handful of chopped organic raw almonds
Cook the oatmeal by following the instructions on the package. Once the oatmeal has cooked, spoon the coconut oil into the mixture and stir well. Pour the oatmeal into a small bowl and top with the berries and almonds.
Coconut Apple Chips
- 4 or 5 organic apples, thinly sliced (no seeds)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 or 2 tsp cinnamon powder
Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Place apple slices in a large bowl. Drizzle in the coconut oil and cinnamon. Using your hands, gently mix the apples in with the oil and cinnamon powder until they are well coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay apple slices across it. Bake for 1 to 1/2 hours or until the apples are crispy. Make sure you flip the apples over every 30 minutes or so. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy them plain or dipped in almond butter!
Coconut Blueberry Chia Pudding
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh blueberries and almond slices for topping
In a small mason jar, mix the chia seeds with the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator overnight. When you are ready to eat the pudding, top it with fresh blueberries and almond slices.
Breakfast Avocado Egg Wraps
- 6 small corn or gluten-free flour tortillas
- 6 organic cage-free eggs (prepared sunny side up)
- 1 avocado, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Drew’s Chipotle Lime Salsa (about 1 Tbsp per tortilla)
- A sprinkle of mozzarella cheese
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Warm up the tortillas in your microwave or conventional oven. Place three of the tortillas on each plate. Add one cooked egg to each tortilla. Top the egg with the avocado bits and a spoonful of the salsa. Sprinkle some cheese, sea salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Green Apple Ginger Smoothie
- 1 green apple
- 3 kale leaves
- 1 pear
- ½-inch ginger root
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
Blend and enjoy!
Margaux J Rathbun, B.S., N.T.P. is an internally acclaimed Nutritional Therapist, the creator of Authentic Self Wellness and the host of Authentic Self Wellness Radio.