Who Has the Best Donuts in the Foothills?
05/21/2015 08:20AM ● Published by Style
Bacon Donut at Donut Factory – photo by Dante Fontana © Style Media Group
Granted, grabbing a deep-fried ring of dough covered in decadent sweetness, is not the healthiest way to start your day, but donuts can be a once in a blue moon treat.
It's with that mental note in mind that we here at Style took to the streets of El Dorado County to find the five best donuts in the Foothills. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Am I right?
Here they are in no particular order:
- “I must confess: I’m slightly addicted to the Bacon Donut at Donut Factory. The fresh-made pastry is topped with a crispy, salted-to-perfection strip of bacon and a sugary maple glaze that’s not cloyingly sweet. To top it off, the employees are some of the friendliest folks around!” 530-626-1320
- “If your sweet tooth is searching for a treat sent from above, look no further than Heavenly Donuts. My favorite offering is the Butterfly, a cinnamon crumb-topped donut with a light glaze that resembles its winged namesake and has a light, airy quality that’s belied by its mass.” 530-677-7963
- “The Apple Donuts with Sprinkles at High Hill Ranch have a perfectly moist, cakey center that’s infused with fresh-chopped apples. The colorful splattering of sprinkles on top makes me feel like a kid again. They’re melt-in-your mouth delicious.”
- “When I can’t decide between chowing down on a cookie or a donut, the Cookies and Cream Donut at Sweet Score BBQ is the sweetest solution. As an Oreo aficionado, I crave this confection morning, noon and night (good thing they’re open until 9 p.m.!).” 530-642-9644
- “Any time you want to reward your healthy eating habits with a little bit of naughtiness, pull up a seat at Bistro 33 and order the Bag o’ Doughnuts. Yes, the sugar-coated fluffs of hot homemade fried goodness actually come in a bag that you shake and pour out before dipping away in one of three delish sauces: berry compote, honey butter and chocolate.