Ask the Expert
05/31/2013 09:26AM, Published by Style, Categories: In Print
Q: When choosing a preschool, what are some questions a parent should ask?
1. How many children are in a classroom with how many teachers? A smaller ratio is important, but so is exposing a child to large group settings. This helps prepare children for potentially high kindergarten ratios.
2. What is the routine and how is the day structured? It’s important to have a routine that is consistent and full of activities.
3. What are the qualifications of the teachers? Most daycares/preschools must meet minimal state law requirements, so it’s a bonus when a center goes beyond them.
4. Will the daycare/preschool allow a trial day? Trial days give parents an idea of how the teacher interacts with their child and how well your child does in this new environment.
5. Do you have an open door policy? Daycares/preschools should have an open door policy for families at all times. It allows you to watch your child interact with others while acknowledging your presence.
—Jennifer Kelly, Owner
The Gift of Kids Daycare and Preschool
Locations in Citrus Heights and El Dorado Hills