Placerville Recreation & Parks
07/30/2012 03:23AM ● Published by Style
A child dances to the music that is constantly flowing through his/her consciousness.
Why not give your child an outlet for their inner beat? Dancing is an art that teaches children creativity, balance, flexibility, memory, discipline, stamina and stability. With most classes taking place after school, the Placerville Recreation and Parks Department has several options for your foot-tapping dreamer.
- Creative Dance for Toddlers (ages 2.5-4): This class is perfect for the tiny tot who loves to dance. Lessons include movement games, exciting music, instruments and other fun props.
- Creative Dance for Children (ages 4-6): In this fun, pre-readiness tap class, children will develop creativity, physical fitness and movement intelligence while building their classroom etiquette and interpersonal skills.
- Hula Dance for Children (ages 5-12): Learn the basic steps and hand movements to hula storytelling. The class will also touch on Tahitian dance basics, with exciting hip movements and a certified “kuma hula.” Bonus: Dancers will get a free sarong!
- Beginning Children’s Tap Dance (ages 6-10): Discover accurate tap dance techniques, with the opportunity to perform rather quickly. Tap dancing has been shown to stimulate brain activity, helping to improve hand-eye coordination, math skills, rhythm skills and response time. The class utilizes a syllabus from Dance Masters of America.
- Middle East/Belly Dance for Children (ages 8-15): Learn traditional Egyptian, Turkish and Lebanon belly dance moves – all taught in an easy-to-follow format. Classes will cover core movements, use of the veil and age-appropriate dance moves. Children are not required to show their bellies. Material fee includes use of a veil for class and a coin hip scarf to keep.
— Amanda Anderson
For more information, visit cityofplacerville.org or call 530-642-5232.