The 10 Spot- Resolve to Give Back
12/30/2011 08:36AM ● Published by Style
Even though it’s the time when many make their New Year’s resolutions, giving back should and can happen year-round.
Style did the dirty work and found 10 easy, inexpensive (or free!) ways you can make a difference in 2012!
- DONATE. Bring clothes you never wear to Goodwill, Salvation Army or your local church, books you’ve already read to a local library or school, and canned foods collecting dust to a shelter.
- FEED THE HUNGRY. Local food banks are always looking for volunteers. In Roseville, email email@example.com; in Folsom, email firstname.lastname@example.org; in El Dorado County, email email@example.com.
- BE DEDICATED TO EDUCATION. Ask a local teacher what supplies his or her class needs most and donate them.
- GIVE BLOOD. For the location nearest you, visit bloodsource.org.
- GO BALD. Raise money to fight childhood cancer by shaving your head at the St. Baldrick’s Celebration on March 10 at Westfield Galleria. For details, visit childcancer.org/chapters/roseville/events.
- VISIT A SENIOR. More than 50 percent of nursing home residents never have company; vow to visit one during National Nursing Home Week: May 13-19.
- VOLUNTEER. For opportunities in your area, visit handsonsacto.org and type in your zip code.
- GIVE YOUR SPARE CHANGE. When you’re in the checkout at the grocery store, start putting change into the charity boxes.
- ADOPT A FURRY FRIEND. Stop by an animal shelter and take home a new best friend.
- GO GREEN. Contribute to a better environment by recycling your used electronics! For a drop-off location near you, visit allgreenrecycling.com.