Holiday Performance Roundup
10/30/2009 10:10AM ● Published by Wendy Sipple
photo by Aaron Roseli
The holidays bring out our special memories of celebrating the season with family and friends in thousands of different ways.
Although we are busy with parties, shopping and decorating...one way to make this year special is to venture out and see a live performance at one of the many local venues.
• Right here at home, Imagination Theater presents Disney’s Beauty and the Beast throughout December at the El Dorado Fairgrounds in Placerville. Come and see this rich and professional production. imagination-theater.org
- For a good “old tyme” melodrama, check out the Coloma Crescent Player’s Christmas Production at the Olde Coloma Theatre. Performances will be on selected dates, November 20 through December 20. oldecolomatheatre.com
- Festival of Lights will be held on Placerville’s Main Street on November 27. The tree lighting ceremony and all the old-fashioned fun are just what you need after a day of feasting. 530-672-3436 gets you more information.
- Recapture the spirit of Christmas with downtown Grass Valley’s Cornish Christmas Celebration. Carolers, cloggers, bell ringers and other professional musicians will be spreading cheer on November 27, and December 4, 11, and 18, from 6-9 p.m. For more information, call 530-272-8315.
- The California State Railroad Museum has two great events to mark the season. Train Time for Santa highlights model trains on Thanksgiving weekend November 27 to 29. Ride The Polar Express as Chris Van Allsburg’s tale is brought to life in Old Sacramento. csrmf.org
- Capital Christian Center presents a Merry Olde Christmas for their 53rd Annual Singing Christmas Tree, the first two weekends of December. See 110 choir members singing in a tree surrounded by 45,000 lights! ccconline.cc
- Placerville’s Shakespeare Club will hold their annual Elizabethan Family Feast on December 5. Experience all the fun of traditional food, entertainment and the sights, sounds, smells of a classical celebration that is suitable for all ages. Call 530-676-3749 for more information.
- Perry Creek Winery in nearby Fair Play invites you to bring the kids along to see Santa at the Winery on December 5. This free event offers plenty for kids and adults to do. Also get some holiday shopping done and enjoy tasting some of California’s finest wines. perrycreek.com/event.php
- Don’t miss Placerville’s 32nd Annual Christmas Parade, December 6, at 1 p.m. The parade starts at the Mountain Democrat parking lot on upper Broadway in Placerville and continues down Main Street. For information call 530-621-5885.
- Merry Christmas Tea in Toyland is celebrating their 11th year. Bring the kids and enjoy this vintage radio classic presented by the Friends of Old Hangtown, and benefiting Gold Bug Park’s Meagher House Nature Center. For tickets call 530-626-6454. goldbugpark.org
- The Sacramento Ballet brings The Nutcracker to the Community Center Theater. Opening night, December 11, marks the 500th performance with the Sacramento Philharmonic. The ballet offers a special Nutcracker Sweet Sunday performance and party on December 13. sacballet.org
- On December 19, at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., the students of Center Stage Dance Academy, ages 3 to adult, will offer The Gift to everyone this year. The performance is a collection of holiday inspired dance. Proceeds from the performances will benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children. csda.info
- Keeping the spirit alive, don’t miss the El Dorado Dance Academy and their annual Holiday Showcase, Monday, December 21 at 2 p.m. eldoradodance.com