● By Wendy Sipple
1. Want a library that fits in a folder? The Kindle DX is perfect for the traveling bibliophile. Take books aboard a flight, in the car, or anywhere for that matter, $489 at amazon.com.
2. Make airport travel a cinch with Belle Hop’s Travel Bottles and Quart-sized Pouch. Three-ounce toiletry bottles, a pill case, acrylic case, soap sheets, and a convenient clip to attach to your carry-on allowing for easy airport checking, $8 at Stein Mart, 6676 Lonetree Boulevard, Rocklin. 916-791-9660, steinmart.com.
3. Keep the kiddos busy on flights or in the car with Doodles, A Really Giant Coloring and Doodling Book, $20 at Posh Punkins, 4356 Town Center Boulevard, Suite 120, El Dorado Hills, 916-939-9500.
4. Accessorize your suitcase with an easy-to-spot Luggage Tag and Lock Set, $15 at Samsonite at the Folsom Premium Outlets, 13000 Folsom Blvd., Suite 306, Folsom, 916-985-7544.
5. If you’re packing your pooch for a long car trip, pick up the Snoozer Lookout, a pet car seat that allows your pup to park comfortably while safely restrained in an elevated seat, starting at $90 at The Doggie Bag, 6881 Douglas Boulevard, Granite Bay. 916-786-9663, thedoggiebag.com.
6. For the old-fashioned road trip, pick up a California Road Atlas, complete with recreation sites and back roads, $20 at Placerville News Company, 409 Main Street, Placerville. 530-622-4510.
7. Protect your skin wherever you go with bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen, $28 at DuFault’s Beauty Boutique, El Dorado Hills Town Center, 916-933-2233, dufaultsbeauty.com. Also available at DuFault's Beauty Broutique in Roseville at 8680 Sierra College Boulevard, 916-782-4949.
8. If your travel plans include one of the nearby campsites, head to REI and pick up their Base Camp 4 Tent, $350 at REI, 2425 Iron Point Road, Folsom. 916-817-8944, rei.com. Also available at REI in Roseville at 1148 Galleria Boulevard. 916-724-6750.
9. Charge your family’s cellular phones and mp3 players without all the cords and outlets with the Callpod Charger, base unit $40, adaptors $10 each at callpod.com.
10. Whether you’re staying nearby or traveling far, kids can cruise in classic style in the Radio Flyer All-terrain Wagon, $190 at Placerville Hardware, 441 Main Street, Placerville, 530-622-1151.
11. Stow trip essentials in Leaders in Leather Weekender, $209 at Blue Skies, 466 Main Street, Placerville, 530-622-1589.
12. Keep the kids or fur babies protected from the sun while traveling this summer. The compact, pop-up kid’s Sundome folds flat for easy storage, $17 at T.J. Maxx, 8959 Missouri Flat Road, Placerville, 530-621-4741.
13. For all the different trips you’ll take, the Eagle Creek Twist Pack 22 is a comfy backpack and wheeled pack for versatile traveling, $240 at Sport Chalet, 10349 Fairway Drive, Roseville. 916-773-6828, sportschalet.com.
14. Travel plans rarely include rain, but to be safe pack Totes Purse-Size Folding Umbrella. At only six inches long, this compact umbrella will keep you dry without weighing you down, $8 at Totes-Isotoner at the Folsom Premium Outlets, 13000 Folsom Boulevard, Suite 304, Folsom, 916-608-9051.
15. For a day trip, pack Picnic Time’s Turismo Backpack with reinforced bottom. Features an insulated water duffel and bottle. Perfect for beach-combing, sightseeing, hiking or biking; $30 at Bags and Baggage, 1151 Galleria Boulevard, Suite 176, Roseville. 916-788-1808, bagsandbaggageusa.com.